To achieve this, the Year 2 books focus on:
- Practice of the focus letter within words in sentences, or within clusters of words which have a similar phonic pattern, or are often found in Year 2 spelling lists, or are linked by theme
- Tracing and copying sentences and words commonly found in Year 2 spelling lists
- Practice of numerals, number words and punctuation
- Number words and punctuation integrated into sentences
- More emphasis on practice
- Handwriting activities include puzzles, sorting activities, poems and rhymes
- Self assessment exercises.
Writing is a vital, compelling form of communication.To be competent writers, students' handwriting needs to be fluent and legible.The teaching of handwriting is an essential part of the writing curriculum.Regular practice, three to four times a week in fine motor skills and in letter formation will ensure the development of good handwriting habits.