Each varied one-page exercise should not take more than about 15minutes.Each set of questions will help children communicate their understanding and gain confidence in reading.Most pages have questions that require one-word answers.These words are found in the text or on the page.This ensures that a child must concentrate hard and read every word.
In Excel Basic Reading Skills Years 5-6, the activities cover a wide range of reading skills such as:
- Basic comprehension of a text
- Predicting words in a story
- Recognising different 'voices' in a text
- Finding words that are wrong
- Sorting different kinds of words
- Fun activities such as anagram puzzles and simple crosswords are also included.